Friday, October 21, 2011

The Love Letter

Stop and look around you. There are people you are taking for granted. Do they Really know how you feel about them? Hopefully your family does but what about friends and people who have influenced you?

Recently I reconnected with an amazing woman who helped me through my battle with breast cancer. It has been more than a year since we talked and even then it was brief. Sure time flies but relationships are important and people are important. This woman has been battling metastatic cancer for  more than a dozen years. At the same time she's been empowering others through information, support groups, fundraising - whatever it takes. And I got "busy"?

When I called her I asked the proverbial question "How are you?" and received the non-proverbial answer "Not well at all." That will set you back on your heels and make you take notice. Her cancer has now spread to her brain and, after an intensive radiation session, she's waiting to learn if she's going to live or die. Let me be clear, this woman does not give up and neither do I.

After rocking back on my heels, I realized that  it was important I share with her the impact she's had on so many lives. So I wrote her a love letter. Is there anyone who needs a love letter from you? If so, stop reading this and start writing. We can't predict the future and I don't want you to be a member of the "If only" Club.

1 comment:

Vincenzo said...

Please, if you still follow this blog write me on my email, I have thoughs to share as well about cancer. It could be important or fundamental for you.