Monday, October 3, 2011

Happy Life to all you Trendsetters!

One thing I learned during my adventure with breast cancer is that first-hand knowledge trumps fear every time. My Breast Cancer Support Group taught me this lesson over and over again. Through their example, I have been able to offer support to young women who have been diagnosed with cancer. I'll receive phone calls and emails full of fear. I start at the beginning and talk them through their situation.

One woman really surprised me. She had leukemia. When she heard that I had breast cancer she responded "Oh, that's become practically trendy!" I could only laugh. Trendy? Like those uncomfortable wedge shoes that always caused me to twist my ankle? Or perhaps the big hair of the 80's? No thank you, that's not the kind of trend I want any part of. Let's start the Surviving and Thriving trend!

So to all you trendsetters out there - Happy Breast Cancer Awareness Month and Happy Life!

No comments: